Featured Post

The Beat Goes (Back) On!

We are very pleased and proud to announce a new feature at Afropop.org : reprints of selected articles from the late, lamented ma...

December 13, 2010

Remmy Ongala passes away in Tanzania

 One of my favorites from East Africa. Gary Stewart and I drove all the way to Toronto to interview him and see him perform at WOMAD Harbourfront. He was a real original character, and gave us so much wonderful music. Great songwriter with a voice that came straight from his heart, and played guitar just like Franco. He had been in poor health for some time. Such a pity to lose another cornerstone. Pole sana!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11984676

3 comments:

  1. May his soul RIP.... I remember him well in Dar es Salaam...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites too; will dig out his cds and listen in tribute!

    RIP

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first African guitar based music I ever heard was by Remmy. Twenty years later I'm still lovin' his music. He will be missed but his music will live on.

    ReplyDelete