Featured Post

The Beat Goes (Back) On!

We are very pleased and proud to announce a new feature at Afropop.org : reprints of selected articles from the late, lamented ma...

December 13, 2010

Remmy Ongala passes away in Tanzania

 One of my favorites from East Africa. Gary Stewart and I drove all the way to Toronto to interview him and see him perform at WOMAD Harbourfront. He was a real original character, and gave us so much wonderful music. Great songwriter with a voice that came straight from his heart, and played guitar just like Franco. He had been in poor health for some time. Such a pity to lose another cornerstone. Pole sana!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11984676

3 comments:

  1. May his soul RIP.... I remember him well in Dar es Salaam...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites too; will dig out his cds and listen in tribute!

    RIP

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first African guitar based music I ever heard was by Remmy. Twenty years later I'm still lovin' his music. He will be missed but his music will live on.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget