Featured Post

The Beat Goes (Back) On!

We are very pleased and proud to announce a new feature at Afropop.org : reprints of selected articles from the late, lamented ma...

December 21, 2009

From Kurt Mahoney, reggae artist, photographer, faithful reader

Man, what sad news, though I suppose we all knew it was coming. I could spend pages ranting about the current state of print media, reggae, the downfall of humanity, and the evils of the internet...BUT I'd rather give thanks and praise for the years of joy, information, culture, and more that this fantastic publication has brought us all-and how it has brought so many of us together all over the world!
I'm proud to say that even when I let go of probably a ton of 'stuff' on my last move, no way was I going to let go of the Reggae Beat! I have every issue from the first 'paper' issue--missed some in the 90s, and back again for the last few years.
I'm also humbled that occasionally a photo or two of mine would appear, and I managed to get a couple of my records reviewed favorably, for which I'm eternally grateful.
The research, writing, photography--essentially everything about the Beat was stellar. When I picked up each issue I knew I'd learn something, and I knew I'd read about way too many releases I just had to have..
Of course the annual Marley issue was always a favorite--couldn't wait to see what Roj had come up with each year to top himself!
The Beat will be sorely missed by all of us all over the world who've cherished it these past decades, and the rest of the world sadly will never know what they've missed.
Bless you all in your new endeavors.
Peace, one love, one heart always,
Kurt

No comments:

Post a Comment